[Foundation-l] Building The Great Monument of Bureaucracy

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 13:47:52 UTC 2009

2009/11/21 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
> A year or so ago I realized that it is better to make an auxiliary
> site to Wikipedia [in Serbian] than to spend a lot of time in
> explaining to students that everyone has to send to me the sentence "I
> agree that all of my work is realized under ...". It may be funny for
> the first couple of times, it may be assumed as the part of the job
> during the next couple of times, but spending ~1 hour per week in
> explaining what someone should write inside of an email for
> contribution of three articles -- is too much.
>
> But, it was a kind of problems which couldn't be avoided. Our present
> system of getting permissions is not able to handle 100 persons at one
> time. And we should think how to solve it.

We talked about it during Multimedia Usability Meeting in Paris. The
idea is to create a "Staging Area" - a wiki (or non-wiki) project
which is not public and can be used for media and meta-data mass
storage before sending the stuff to public projects. The idea is that
all permissions and other legal stuff would be carefully solved before
sending anything to Commons, so the mass contributors coming from
outside organisation would not need to cope with OTRS system.

There were also discussion about how to change OTRS system or replace
it with something more friendy - but I guess it is going to be hard to
combine friendlyness and legal requirements.

Bear in mind - that keeping legal stuff clean is not only the matter
of our projects - but also all those who re-use our content believing
that our meta-data concerning licening is valid.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/