[Foundation-l] Growth vs. maintenance

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Sat Nov 7 09:29:50 UTC 2009

What I'm suggesting is not more bureaucracy.  Let me put it this way.
Right now we have a system where you are either a worker or a policeman.
There is no group who are advocates for the workers against the policemen.
That is, there are no defense lawyers, there are no judges.
The police patrol the police and promote the police from within their police ranks.
This is not the way society in real-life actually works.

In real life the entire voting class elects the judges.  Arbcom cannot serve as judge for the whole world.  We need more judges of the sort who are elected by the entire community.  Not promoted from within the admin ranks.

We do not have, in-project the normal sort of checks and balances, that we experience in the real world. "I was beaten up by the police!"  "Well go report it to the police!"  "I did and they beat me up again!"

We need advocates who are assigned solely the job (solely, solely) of helping the editors, even against the police, and who are not themselves admins (police) of any sort, but have powers that are different, not powerless.

That system provides the missing balance of power in the project, in my opinion.

Will Johnson