[Foundation-l] Wikinews has not failed

Jon Davis wiki at konsoletek.com
Thu Nov 5 20:03:29 UTC 2009

According to the Wikinews stats page ( http://wmf4.me/3229 ), the English
Wikinews received 7.9 million page views in October 2009.  Compare that to
52 million page views for English Wiktionary ( http://wmf4.me/f8E57 ) or
12.8 million for English Wikisource ( http://wmf4.me/7a12c ) in the same
time frame.  En.wn doesn't have a huge amount of hits in comparison, but it
is nothing to sneeze at either.   You can also take a quick look at the
stats from enwn.net, our URL shortner ( http://enwn.net/stats.php ) and see
that in the last 30 days we've had 17k click through from Twitter & Identica
alone.  So we might not be huge, but we've got a fairly loyal following.

If most news sites go pay wall, as they've been threatening, I think you'll
see see a huge rise in contributions/interest to Wikinews.  Really, that is
the main difference between the popularity of Wikinews and other projects.
When Wikipedia started, there was no other reasonable "free encyclopedia".
Wikinews on the other hand?  We've got to compete with every other news
outlet on earth.  Give us some credit for trying.

-Jon