[Foundation-l] Growth vs. maintenance

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Nov 4 21:47:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 23:36, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been part of the wiki community for 6 years now.  As I reflect
> on what I've seen over the years, I've developed a definite sense that
> the enthusiasm and energy in the community has waned.  (I'm going to
> frame this discussion mostly in terms of the English Wikipedia, though
> I think it applies to most of the large, mature wikis.)

If you miss the excitement, learn the Sakha language, or at least Russian.
Many small wikis in African and post-Soviet languages are mostly abandoned,
but the small group of editors of the Wikipedia in Sakha are very excited.

At the root, I think that Wikipedia is something of a victim of it's
> own success.  We've written the largest encyclopedia in history,
> become a household name, and created a top web destination.  Great
> job.  What now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_backlog

I find it pretty exciting.

I don't see a big difference between writing new articles and improving
existing ones.

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni