[Foundation-l] Recent firing?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 16:49:51 UTC 2009

2009/11/2 effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com>:
> 2009/11/2 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
>

>> I'm happy arguing about this. No-one is forcing you to do so. If you
>> want to start another thread about the colour of the sky, go right
>> ahead.
>>
>> Why can't people on this list learn how to ignore threads? It is very
>> easy to do. You just don't click on them when they appear in your
>> inbox. I'm not interested in everything that is discussed on this
>> list, but I don't complain about other people discussing it; I just
>> ignore it.
>>
>> Why can't people learn when a discussion is irritating other people, why
> can't people learn which discussions are most useful to have, why can't
> people learn that they might frustrate the very reason for existance of this
> list? Why can't people learn to realize when to shut up?

I do know when a discussion is irritating people - they make that very
clear. What I don't understand is why it irritates them when they
could so easily ignore it. There are no limits on how many threads we
can have, so saying there are other more useful discussions is a
complete non-argument. There are two solutions to this problem -
people can ignore the threads they aren't interested in at negligible
cost to themselves, or other people can stop discussing the things
they are interested it, which is obviously a cost in itself. The
former seems like a better solution to me...