[Foundation-l] Free edition of Norways national encyklopedia Store Norske Leksikon

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 06:37:32 UTC 2009

Their license text indicates that they are aiming o be free as in freedom,
but they do not have a proper license as of yet (all it says is that "you
can use our stuff in the same way as with Wikipedia's stuff", and a bunch of
articles are marked with "free license", but without specifying that any
further). But it does look very promising, in my opinion.

2009/2/26 Ian A. Holton <poeloq at gmail.com>

> But is it free as in free beer or freedom?
>
> --Ian
> [[User:Poeloq]]
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Finn Rindahl <finnrindwiki at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Since our (WMF) aim is to provide free knowledge, I would say that SNL
> > making a free online edition is a proof of our success more than a new
> > "competitor". They have a lot to learn from us, we have a lot to learn
> from
> > them. And whoever is seeking free knowledge in Norwegian on the web will
> > have more alternatives.
> >
> > Finn Rindahl
> >
> > 2009/2/25 John at Darkstar <vacuum at jeb.no>
> >
> > > Our "national lexicon" here in Norway, Store Norske Leksikon, went
> > > online with its new free edition today. The new edition has user
> > > contributed articles. The chief editor says some of the reason for the
> > > new edition is the harsh competition from Wikipedia, especially
> > > no.wikipedia.org which outnumbered their previous article count last
> > > year, now counting 209,079 articles. Also the alternate version
> > > nn.wikipedia.org (a variation in Nynorsk) is growing steadilly, now
> > > counting 46,466 articles. Store Norske Leksikon now claims they has
> > > 300,000 articles after inclusion of two other encyclopedias, a medical
> > > encyclopedia Store medisinske leksikon and a biographical encyclopedia
> > > Biografisk leksikon. Previously they had 155,000 articles.
> > >
> > > Wikipedia in bokmål should have 300K articles around February or March
> > > next year, it depends on how we will be influenced by the changes in
> SNL.
> > >
> > > John Erling Blad
> > > jeblad

Jon Harald Søby