[Foundation-l] dumps

Ángel keisial at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:56:49 UTC 2009

Samuel Klein wrote:
> Compression allowing random access is definitely the way to go for
> large selections.
>
> Ángel, that's an interesting reader you wrote.  I cc: a list for
> offline wikireaders (most designed around mediawiki).
Subscribed.

>  A similar idea
> is in use by schools across Peru[1] to provide offline access to the
> Spanish Wikipedia, based on wikipedia-iphone code:
>    http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/wikiserver
>
> It doesn't have the windows/IE dependency

The goal was to support both webbrowser and Mozembed but their different
link handling and lack of time reduced it. :(
Any takers? ;)

> but leaves out many of your
> features like special pages, full template support, and categories.
>
> SJ
>
> [1] the same schools want offline access to images, so a smarter
> reader that knows to look in turn locally / at a server / online to
> find images is desired.

I also support images :)
As it's running a mediawiki, it just searches for the images in the
local folder, and fallbacks to fetch them from commons using a
ForeignAPIRepo.

You can get some samples at
http://www.wiki-web.es/mediawiki-offline-reader/ although they're slower
than they could.