[Foundation-l] Simple English Encyclopedia

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 23 04:47:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:05:43PM +0800, H wrote:
> Brian,
> It is usually the responsibility of the proposer to notify the
> community.  I am very surprised that no one did.

They notified the simple community but did not mention that you had to
"prove" yourslef before commenting.

> Very early on I have asked the proposer to join the community and help
> fix the problems, and later again asked them to go back to the
> beginning to the original proposal of wikipedia:simple:

I noticed that. Very sensible.

> However you cannot talk when everybody has already got er finger on er
> trigger ready to shoot their {{support}} or {{oppose}}.
>
> It may be an interesting idea requiring a discussion on the local
> project to close it.  However, meta is useful as a cross-wiki
> platform, and most closures requests are about inactive wikis, which
> are much less contraversial, and in which case "discussion on the
> local project" wouldn't work.

I agree. This discussion is quite different from a discussion on a small
wp that never got off the ground. It matters.

> I think the a lot of pro-closure commenters in current discussion on
> wikipedia:simple: has not bothered to think of the ideas of the other
> side, and can only think of problems abstractly and rather not to deal
> with them actually and locally.  Maybe we can combine the ideas, that
> if there is substantial objection, the discussion of closure should be
> moved on the local project.

I agree. The discussion is not very deep. That was one of the things
that worried me.

> Still, I would say that meta, being open and multilingual, is not
> worse as a forum than this mailing list.   ~~~~

Of course. That is why I want the very widest discussion and the final
decision to close something like htis to be taken at the most
authoritive level.

Brian.