[Foundation-l] Simple English Encyclopedia

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.com.au
Sun Feb 22 23:27:09 UTC 2009

I am rather disturbed at the discussion on meta here:-

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Simple_English_(2)_Wikipedia

about closing this project and I am surpried that the issue has not come
up here. While the consensus is clearly against closure, so it likely
will not happen, there are issues. Is this kind of discussion on Meta
really the best way to handle this kind of issue? I am particularly
concerned about the suggestion that only meta regulars (with more than
100 edits there) can contribute. This prevents or at least discourages
the users of Simple from going to Meta to comment. I also wonder whether
Simple editors really know about this issue, although I see it is
mentioned on their main page.

There is also a similar discussion about closing the Simple Wiktionary.

These issues need a much wider and intelligent debate than they are
receiving. They are too important for there to be any chance that they
just dissappear one day, with most people not knowing about it.

Brian.

          Brian Salter-Duke            b_duke at bigpond.net.au
[[User:Bduke]] is single user account with en:Wikipedia main account.
       Also on Meta-Wiki, Wikiversity, fr:Wikipedia and others.
Treasurer, Wikimedia Australia Inc,    Go Wikimedia Australia Inc, Go!