[Foundation-l] status of the licensing update

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 20:08:54 UTC 2009

2009/2/22 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

>> > I would be interested to hear what your source was for such
>> > a deal between RMS and the WMF.
>>
>> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2008-November/047013.html
>>

> Is this a written agreement?  Why isn't it public?  Why haven't the reasons
> for the agreement been made public?

I don't know if it's written down or not, but that email makes it
fairly public. From what I can tell, it was just a compromise made
during the negotiations. The reasons are fairly obvious - the FSF
wants people to still be using their license and the WMF felt the need
to compromise, so agreed to it.