[Foundation-l] mirroring a portion of the wikipedia

basedrop basedrop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 01:47:01 UTC 2009

Hello Thomas and thanks for your response.

I would point out that the foundation created a French version,  hosted it
on French servers, in the French language because they saw the benefit of
delivering something to a specific constituency.

I don't have a particular need to have the art history portion of the wiki
editable for my users at my domain.  I have the specialized users at my
site,  I'd like to take advantage of that aggregation of specialized users
to the benefit of the wiki.    If you guys don't have an API for me,  I'm
o.k. with that.

Web content is becoming more integrated across multiple platforms and
domains.   People can post to Facebook from twitter.  People can check Gmail
from POP3 clients.  People can post to a blog, and the data will instantly
replicate over multiple blogs around the world.  I can pull data from
multiple sources and aggregate it with an rss feed reader.   This is the
direction content and the web is heading.

Bring the users to one domain, and keep the content within that domain can
be called the "walled garden" approach.  It is not a bad one, when you have
a need to control the users (e.g. facebook,) and the content.   In the case
of the wiki,  I'd suggest a more democratic approach of bringing the wiki to
the people.   You already do that with a push version of the wiki,  I'm just
suggesting you take it one step further and make it editable.   Imagine
sections of the wiki,  right where the experts are aggregated.   Space.com
hosting a concurrent version of the astronomy section.   Technology at
slashdot.org.   Law at nolo.com... you get the drift.

You guys consider this.  In the mean time I'll build up my site and my user
base.   If there is a way to integrate in the future,  I'll do that.  I'm
going to shoot for using openID, so this is just another reason for you guys
to consider the use of openID as well.

Michael