[Foundation-l] status of the licensing update

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 19 01:41:12 UTC 2009

2009/2/18 Ryan Kaldari <kaldari at gmail.com>:
> As far as anyone not subscribed to this listserv can tell, the
> proposal to migrate Wikipedia to Creative Commons is dead in the
> water. Despite requests for an update on-wiki, no updates have come
> from the Foundation since January. Looking at the archives here, it
> looks like the last update was from Erik Möller on February 3rd in
> which he said that he was hoping to "get some survey data this week,
> and move quickly after that." Was the survey conducted? Is there a new
> target date for the proposal?

I've been developing the survey "on paper", and I'm testing LimeSurvey
with an unrelated survey right now, which seems to be going well. If
there are no setbacks, we'll deploy a basic feeler survey next week,
asking people to rank the key attribution models we've been talking
about here. I don't think it's a _necessary_ requirement before
running the vote, but it'll be useful to have it, and we might make
some adjustments to the language used in the proposal based on it.
Separately, I've reached out to SPI, who have graciously committed to
administer the vote as an independent third party. Our goal is still
to run and wrap up the vote before the next Board meeting in early
April, so the Board can discuss the results at that time. I'll post a
quick update if I think this timeline can't be kept.

I also agree with Michael that we won't be able to deal with all
possible attribution scenarios adequately yet - IMO all we can achieve
is set out basic principles.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation