[Foundation-l] status of the licensing update

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Wed Feb 18 21:09:09 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/2/18 Ryan Kaldari <kaldari at gmail.com>:
>
>> it
>> looks like the last update was from Erik Möller on February 3rd in
>> which he said that he was hoping to "get some survey data this week,
>> and move quickly after that." Was the survey conducted?
>>
> I don't remember seeing a survey... I certainly didn't fill one out.

We do still plan to have a survey, although I don't think it's critical
that it precede the vote. The point of the survey is in particular to
get some more information that would help work out details for
attribution standards. Not everything is specified in the licenses, for
good reason, and we should continue fine-tuning attribution after
whatever decision we make, no need to close off the discussion. To a
large part attribution is independent of the relicensing question, it's
just that this is a good time to also foster discussion on the issue.

As to the vote, my understanding is that we needed to sort out the
timing because of the plan to have it administered by an external body.
I'm not sure where that stands, but we do intend to go forward with it soon.

--Michael Snow