[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year 2008 voting now open

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 00:55:48 UTC 2009

2009/2/17 Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I did not even realise it had not been announced and I already voted a
> few days ago :-)
> My two cents
>
> * great images. Really top stuff
> * but the voting system... SO unpractical :-(

If you voted early, I think the voting system has been improved since
then. You should take another look (while logged in!). There is just
little buttons and text fields below each image to let you vote and
leave a comment, and if you have already voted you get a message "You
have already voted for this image". I think it's really great.

> I have meant to ask what happened with the toolserver (or the team
> dealing with the toolserver) so that it could not be used this year ?

Bryan & I ran the comp last year, and were too busy to commit to
running it this year. This year I am just a cheerleader. ;)
I think it was just difficult communicating all the needed info about
galleries, etc, because Bryan wasn't too involved. In future years if
Bryan is involved or someone else comfortable with the toolserver that
software can be used again, if they want.

> Alternatively, if you really want to keep voting pages separately for
> each image, it would have been easier to vote on a separate page rather
> than at the bottom of the description page (long to load + generous
> scrolling of numerous languages description).

I think the voting actually does happen on a separate page, it just
has a huge introduction in many languages. :)

A good place to leave comments for the organisers (and future
organisers) to see, would be
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Picture_of_the_Year/2008>.

cheers
Brianna