[Foundation-l] Verifiability, reliable sources, notability and original research

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 13:40:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Patton 123 <pattonabc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I really think all of these are superflous to each other. Shouldn't they be
> merged into one policy, called Wikipedia:Verifiability? I mean, look at what
> we're saying here:
>
>   - Wikipedia:Verifiability
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:V>basically says "content that
> isn't blatantly obvious should be sourced".
>   - Wikipedia:Reliable sources
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RS>says "content should be
> sourced".
>   - Wikipedia:Notability <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:N> says
>   "if articles can't be sourced they will be deleted".
>   - Wikipedia:No original
> research<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_original_research>says
> "we don't allow articles on things that can't be sourced".
>
> What do you guys think?

Verifiability is about what kind of information can be included.
Reliable sources is about how to determine what sources of information
can be used.
Notability is about the threshold for inclusion of articles.
No original research is about how you can put information together.

Combining them all into one enormous byzantine policy would only make
it harder to understand.  Individual points should be separated, if
only to allow new editors a chance at understanding things.

Brian