[Foundation-l] A Civil Wiki (was: Increased incivility at wikinews [en]

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 8 23:10:45 UTC 2009

on 2/8/09 2:41 PM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:

> I've proposed something that may help in this matter on en:wp:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Arbitration_Committee/Noticeboard#
> How_to_raise_the_tone_of_the_wiki
>
> Comments and suggestions there are likely to be read by the en:wp arbcom.

Thank you for this, David. I can see from reading the dialogue on the Talk
Page that many do feel a declining tone of civility in the Project. But I
also see several who insist on going the "show me your proof" route. Thanks,
also for not being dragged into that avoidance pit.

In a city, when the cops are overwhelmed by the growing amount of crime, and
seem not to have the sufficient amount of manpower to present to it all, the
people form neighborhood watch groups. In this way, every person in that
neighborhood becomes an enforcer of the laws and policies of that
neighborhood. The well-worn phrase is "take back our neighborhood". I
believe it is time for the quiet majority of us to stop being so quiet and
to take back our culture.

Marc