[Foundation-l] FW: [Wikinews-l] Increased incivility atwikinews [en] <warning: contains rant>

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 6 00:47:16 UTC 2009

on 2/5/09 7:19 PM, George Herbert at george.herbert at gmail.com wrote:

> I think this is somewhat of a false dichotomy - making a good faith effort
> to warn and discuss and work with problematic editors is almost always the
> best course, with banning an unfortunate less desirable second choice if the
> situation persists for long periods of time.
>
> Most people do respond well to good faith efforts to get them to behave
> better...

Yes! We have no idea how many of the abusers have known nothing but in their
own lives. We do what we know 'till we learn something different. For many,
being treated well can seen quite strange, quite uncomfortable. Some will,
at first, think they are being conned or manipulated. But with consistency
and patience, when the axe they firmly believe is going to fall just
doesn't, they can eventually be persuaded to become a part of the solution.

Marc