[Foundation-l] FW: [Wikinews-l] Increased incivility at wikinews [en] <warning: contains rant>

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 16:08:31 UTC 2009

on 2/5/09 10:45 AM, Andrew Whitworth at wknight8111 at gmail.com wrote:

> The foundation is not likely to be able to do anything, even if it is
> willing (which I doubt). It makes some sense to treat them as the
> authority figure of last resort, but that isn't reality.

A sad state of affairs.

> If a project so large in size and scope as English Wikipedia is having
> these problems with hostility and incivility, you're maybe seeing a
> manifestation of problems in human nature itself. See [[w:Dubar's
> Number]] for more information about large groups like this. If you
> can't fix the problem from within English Wikipedia, then the problems
> are likely to be unfixable.

Andrew, it is not the size of the group that is the issue, but how that
group is managed. And there is a huge cultural difference between "control"
and "management". It all rests with the skillful leadership of that group.
It is my professional business to know such things.

Marc