[Foundation-l] Licensing interim update

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Tue Feb 3 23:24:40 UTC 2009

You have a very clear sense of what is legal and what is not.

However, I am under the impression that in this case the FSF and CC
determine what is legal since there are very few cases where these issues
have been brought up in court. The FSF and CC determine what the licenses
"say" and whether or not a potential break with particular verbiage is in
the spirit of the licenses. They've already demonstrated that what the
licenses say are flexible to the needs of the WMF.

You can argue all day long about what licenses "actually" say. Ultimately I
don't think there will be that much of an issue in that area. The real thing
we need to discover are the needs of the WMF. What kind of attribution is *most
consistent with the goals of the projects? *Flexible attribution of course.
We are leaving the GFDL for good reason - no need to drag it along with us
in the change to CC-BY-SA.