[Foundation-l] new LSS; and a request re: licensing discussion

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 15:56:41 UTC 2009

Hi all,

1) There's a new list summary here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LSS/foundation-l-archives/2009_January_16-31

2) Can someone *please* do a huge community service, and work on a
page on Meta that summarizes some of the community concerns re: the
licensing proposal, before voting starts? I have not seen such a page
(did I miss it?). The talk page of the FAQ is a little spare, with
virtually no participation from the people arguing on this list, and a
dedicated page on the subject would be nice.

There are many reasons for doing this:
* Re-licensing all the projects is a Big Deal, and many people who
haven't participated in the discussion yet will likely have the same
concerns or ideas; these should be consolidated on a discussion page
for reference.
* This mailing list seems to have been the main venue for community
discussion to date, but it's very difficult to participate in. With
dozens of threads over the last few months (believe me, I know, having
read all of them for LSS) it's very hard to know what has already been
discussed, what hasn't, where answers to questions were posted, etc.
Using the mailing list for active discussion requires that one be
subscribed and have the time and English-language ability to read
dozens of messages a day -- a high barrier for entry for an all-hands
question.
* The mailing list is also difficult to participate in because this
conversation has been dominated by just a few people. While most all
the points that have been made are valid and interesting, it's a
little hard to tell when the same five people keep posting them. It's
also difficult to get a post in edgewise. Please consider that if
you've posted every other day on this topic for the past month, you're
making a hostile environment for the rest of us who may not be as sure
in our views on the subject.

A (NPOV?) meta page that summarizes the various points that have been
raised -- people who think that every author must be attributed,
people who think a URL is sufficient, people who think that we must
make our content easy for reusers, people who think that we have to
stick to the GFDL on principle, etc. etc. -- would be super helpful as
we progress into straw polls and voting.

best,
Phoebe

<at> gmail.com *