[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:23:01 UTC 2009

2009/2/2 phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com>:
> Which is fine if you're reprinting the whole article, but what if
> you're just reprinting the lede, or some other section of an article?
> Should a reuser still be required to reprint 2 pages of credits for a
> paragraph of article? That seems onerous. Note that just reprinting a
> *section* of an article is how many print reuse cases have worked to
> date (the German encyclopedia and our CafePress bumperstickers come to
> mind), and this case is not something that we've discussed much so
> far.

Very few articles require a page's worth of credit. Remember even the
German has an average of  23.65 edits per page and the midpoint is
likely much lower.

> And having just actually done this, with a real book and a real
> publisher, in "How Wikipedia Works," I can attest that it's a
> non-trivial amount of work to get author lists for articles --
> removing duplication, IPs, formatting, etc is all a good deal of work
> -- and I like to think I understand how histories work. It would be a
> much bigger task for someone who didn't understand histories or the
> license.

It is true we need an extension built into mediawiki to handle at
least part of this.

> The Wikiblame tool, if it were made widely accessible and prominently
> integrated into the site, seems like a promising solution. In the
> meantime, I think we ought to consider what "proper credit" is for
> just reusing a part of an article, versus the whole thing.
>
> -- phoebe

Legally you are required to credit every author who's work that
section is a derivative of.

--
geni