[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun Feb 1 11:49:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an important point. It is precisely why it is not a good idea to remove attribution.

I wasn't aware that anyone was suggesting that we remove attribution
altogether, just that we attribute Wikipedia as a whole for the sake
of everyone's sanity, and in consideration of the extremely limited
(if not negative) value that such mass attributions provide.

While working for a large US software company I never received (nor
expected) any credit whatsoever for my work. You might argue that I
was well remunerated for my efforts, but when I wrote network quotas
for the Linux kernel (where they have lived happily for the last
decade or so) my name didn't start popping up in the boot messages
either. Yes you can find it if you look at the source code or edit
logs but I don't care - my contribution was in the name of the
community.

Sam