[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 09:30:43 UTC 2009

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> No, we want to create a free encyclopaedia. The restrictions imposed for
> narcissistic reasons do get in the way of making the encyclopaedia Free.
> Thanks.

People may be contributing for narcissistic reasons, but
nobody has suggested any restrictions be imposed for
narcissistic reasons. What people have been worried
about are real laws in different jurisdictions, which have
absolutely nothing to do with narcissism.

Ignoring those laws will be a greater detriment to
making the encyclopedia Free, since it means the content
could only be completely Freely used in the US and
jurisdictions that have precisely compatible legal frameworks.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen