[Foundation-l] Expert board members - a suggestion

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 20:54:20 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton asked:

"Has tech money been spent on other things previously? That is news to me."

For your edification, Thomas, since at least you seem willing to listen, as
opposed to some others here who simply "tut tut" at all the "trolling" and
the "time wasting" any critics might have to offer:

http://philanthropy.com/giveandtake/article/858/wikipedias-fund-raising-success-questioned

Please make sure to read my comment there, which references this document:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Planned_Spending_Distribution_2007-2008

Which does not "square away" with this document, specifically Page 4:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/4/41/FY_2008_09_Annual_Plan.PDF

...which says, "tech department underspending equalled 1.7m".

Anthony's not exactly being fair, though, when he sort of suggests that the
shortfall in Technology spending went instead to the Executive Director.  As
far as I can tell, it went into the bank, to be spent in the FOLLOWING YEARS
on the Executive Director's need to expand staff to unprecedented levels.

Pay attention, Thomas.  I've discussed this issue in many places.  On the
Wikimedia-controlled places, I'm often censored or blocked, but there are
plenty of other non-WMF venues where facts can be laid out for the curious
to learn the truth:

http://www.mywikibiz.com/Top_10_Reasons_Not_to_Donate_to_Wikipedia

Greg