[Foundation-l] Chapters as intermediaries between WMF and communities (was Re: Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation)

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 16:07:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Florence Devouard<Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Using the chapters as intermediaries between the Wikimedia Foundation
> and the communities is actually a solution that has been used in the past.
>
> It certainly feature a certain efficiency (proximity with the community
> and common language).

I agree

> However, I am not convinced it is a good idea to go this way.
>

> That's WMF responsibility to assume their decisions, to inform
> stakeholders of their decisions, and hopefully to offer channels for
> stakeholders to give their feedback.

I agree

> I am not convinced it is within the role of chapters to be the
> intermediaries. And doing it regularly would possibly mislead WMF to get
> further apports from contributors.

I agree, but I would add that it is for the common good of WMF to have
consultation with local chapters to know if a solution could be or not
could be easily accepted by the communities. Surely the chapters have
the feeling of the cultural environment of any wikipedians communities
and of any subsequent reaction, but in any case everyone is
responsible of his own decision.

Ilario