[Foundation-l] Wiktionary logo competition makes b3ta

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 18:25:42 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/8/14 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
>

>> Sigh. Of course you know, Bob, the MediaWiki flower isn't
>> a trademark or anything remotely of the sort "owned" or
>> even claimed in other than authorship fashion by anyone.
>>

> You're probably wrong there, actually -

I am virtually sure I am not wrong in fact.

> even if the MediaWiki flower
> isn't a registered trademark, it could probably be quite well defended
> by use as a trademark.
Perhaps, if it weren't for the inconvenient - for your theory -
fact that the author (Florence Devouard) explicitly freed the
image into the public domain, so as to be utilizable everywhere
where mediawiki is used, regardless of licensing scheme.

> Slippery thing, law.

It may be slippery, but trying to claim trademark protection
for a PD image, is even beyond the unctuousness of the
legal profession.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen