[Foundation-l] GLAM-WIKI report

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 13:20:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Chad<innocentkiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Brianna
> Laugher<brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Re GLAM repositories as a MediaWiki repo, I don't know enough on the
>> tech side to know if it is even a remotely feasible idea. But on the
>> 'social' side it did make me think about our insistence (currently
>> technically necessary) that everything is in MediaWiki format,
>> essentially under the Wikimedia branding somewhere, before we will
>> effectively work with it. We want the GLAMs to let up some control,
>> but essentially so material can come under our control. A different
>> kind of control, certainly, but definitely control. Let's not kid
>> ourselves - not a neutral ground. Maybe it is not a bad idea for us to
>> think about how we can embrace collaboration or resource sharing that
>> might wear someone else's badging.
>>
>> cheers
>> Brianna
>>
>> --
>> They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment:
>> http://modernthings.org/

> Just thinking aloud here, but as to methods for accessing the content:
>
> A) Extends FileRepo to work with their data, however they happen to give
> us access to it
> B) Provide something similar to Special:Import, that will go retrieve their
> data and import it to a format MediaWiki can handle
>
> Both are certainly feasible with the current code base; it's not going to
> require some massive re-write of anything.
>
> -Chad

(Sorry for the followup, I pressed send too soon)

Both methods also allow the GLAMs to keep their control over what they
do and do not let us use, but allow us access to the material in a way that
works with what we do. Best of all, it doesn't require a full mirror
of everything
they have...one time imports of individual items are much more trivial,
comparitavely speaking.

-Chad