[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Policy Interlingual Coordinationn - WP:NOT

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 22:47:02 UTC 2009

I don't know that it is useful to make a general policy for exceptions.  I think it is better just to watch out for such problems to pop up and try to direct attention to them when they are noticed.

I think it is a better use of time and energy to wait and react to the sorts of extreme situation you suggest, rather than to seek to proactively verify that no wikis are in danger of developing such situations.  Not that I would stop anyone form volunteering to take such task on.  It is just that it is very tricky.  It probably would be more effective to wait till the locals complain and ask for help than to try and step in and accuse admins, who likely have put the most time and edits into the wiki, of mismanagement.  Oftentimes locals that even have disagreements with the admins will be inclined to oppose your interference on the principal of solidarity, the devil you know, etc.  It is very touchy situation that leans towards misunderstandings even when everyone speaks the same language.

Birgitte SB