[Foundation-l] Upcoming tech hiring: CTO position split

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:58:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Gregory Maxwell<gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Erik Moeller<erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> Our approach to job titles actually has an emerging basic pattern. :-)
>> It's not 100% consistent because we sometimes have stuck with commonly
>> used titles like "Office Manager" and "General Counsel", but generally
>> one we try to follow:
> [snip]
>
> It's not bad to have an internal pattern, but I think it's more
> important to match the practices in industry.
>
> By containing the magic words "senior" and "architect" the proposed
> "Senior Software Architect" is, in my experience, not inconsistent
> with industry naming practice for the most important tech guru who
> isn't primarily a manager.
>
> It's not a bad title in any case.
<snip>

I would like to note that it isn't just internal naming schemes and/or
industry conventions that matter.  Brion is also engaged in a
significant amount of interaction with external communities, including
the volunteer developers and the Mediawiki user base.  In that
context, I think a description such as "head" or "lead" would help
explain his role more clearly than "senior" does.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

-Robert Rohde