[Foundation-l] Agenda for October board meeting

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Thu Sep 25 05:37:56 UTC 2008

The next meeting of the Board of Trustees is October 3-5 in San
Francisco. Some of the matters on our agenda include:
*the upcoming online fundraiser (tentatively to begin end of October or
beginning of November)
*progress on the audit for fiscal year 2007-08
*the path toward "sub-national" chapter organizations
*along with that, some additional housekeeping related to chapter business
*Wikimedia's role with respect to open standards, especially for
educational content
*the role of the advisory board
*organizational policies

A few issues are things we basically should be wrapping up, like the
revised privacy policy, and should come out of the meeting as finished
work. Some things we're checking in on but results will probably not
follow quite immediately. For example, the audit committee meets earlier
in the week so the board will have a little more information when it
meets, but I don't think we'll be done to the point of approving audited
financial statements. We'll handle that by email and wiki in the weeks
following.

And finally, some of these topics are big-picture issues we need to
discuss, but aren't always ripe for outcomes just yet. It may be
starting or reopening a conversation. We touched on the advisory board
back in April, but ended up with more work to do on restructuring the
board itself, so we're picking back up on that subject. And as I
indicated earlier, there are many issues we can explore around file
formats and open standards. I particularly want to stimulate some
community discussion in that area to help the board, so I'll address it
separately in a little bit. In the meantime, please let me know if you
have any input you would like the board to consider within the framework
of its agenda for this meeting.

--Michael Snow