[Foundation-l] Wikiquote: to be, or not to be

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:22:35 UTC 2008

Andrew,

It's a real pity for me that you seemingly missed main point (or
bottomline) of my message - please calm down and let's speak as "we"
and as really equals.

No matter whether you're of the Wikipedian race or representative of
smaller project, proud of withstanding aggressive critics some time
ago IMHO (!) you have no right to speak to other in such a tone, which
is snobbish in my perception (forgive my lack of synonyms which might
be more precise). I mean you're talking like professor with dummies
(or lazy or…). Would you please stop that? I'm asking as your tone
distracts me (and I presume not only me) from discussion of what is
really meaningful in your words.

Let me use several words from your posting as an example:

"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger"
(as to me I prefer "it is the north wind that made the vikings" ;)
–the author is different)
Was you aware that it's quotation when you wrote that? (I'm not going
to drill now neither the level of rephrasing of the original "What
does not kill me, makes me stronger" nor how close or far are that
words in English to original text of Friedrich Nietzsche).

So let's face several questions (whaich are no more than examples, so
list of questions is far nor complete):
-	Are quotations a valuable part (kind?) of knowledge that WMF is
taking care about, believing that it's WMF mission?
-	Should WMF projects provide people with text of quotations (to give
a chance to use them for expressing their thoughts as Andrew Whitworth
does, if not better ;) )?
-	Should we put all quotations of some person to same place where
biography of that author is placed?
-	what is the right (meaning thoughtfully proposed) name for that
place – WP or WQ?
-	If it will be two different projects how sharp should be the
boundaries? Is it a problem that author' photo and 1 sentence long
info about him will be placed atop his quotations in WQ (with
reference to WP for more details)?
-	How deep should we wikify the quotation text?
-	should we place said quotation somewhere very near whole text of
"Twilight of the Idols" (1888) and to name that place WS (oh, or WB?)?
-	do we need metrics (in words quantity or percentage of source text
length) to differentiate said quotation from whole text of "Twilight
of the Idols"?
-	is placement of whole text of "Twilight of the Idols" the mandatory
pre-condition to placement of said quotation (see John Vandenberg'
suggestion above in same thread);
-	what about usable means to make cross-references between quotations
on same topic (like couple above)? Should we serve the person who is
(while preparing to February the 14th) is looking for all quotations
about love?
-	…

I'm saying that we in WQ are asking all these and many other questions
(most of which are much more complicate) several times a day so there
is no reason to push us to them or call us to face them.

Your example with "Gettysburg Address" is piece of cake IMHO – this
speech goes to WS.

Through you emotions I see all the issues and problems that you ask me
to face. But, once again, please change the tone and just share with
us valuable experience that your Wikibookians … khm, khm… tribe :)
seems to have. And criticism is one thing while… (I feel shortage in
vocabulary again) is different. And your words "I've been on the
receiving end of the "us and
them" discussions on many occasions" reminds me another quotations of
same author

"Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one"

We are ready to face all and every questions that you rose up as there
is nothing new in them – we faced them looong time ago. We are ready
to discuss all that (and many other) issues with you (if and when you
will be ready to change the tone) and with everybody else.
I even can't imagine that on some/any stage of said "renaissance" of
"your" project you proposed the seppuku/hara-kiri for that project (as
cure for bunch of problems which then existed) as well as I never
appreciate proposals to cut me a head no matter how strong headache is
at the moment. So don't be surprised that project closure in the thing
(perhaps the only one) that we don't accept. Period. And please don't
(pardon me) speculate around our strong negative emotions toward
project closure (as well as caused by your tone) treating them as lack
of will to (i) face (ii) thoroughly discuss (iii) properly solve real
problems.

Sapienti sat (oh, one more quotation ;) )

I put myself into your entire disposal to discuss all essential
(emotionless) things in proper tone. I presume that your ideas toward
"creating a technical method to do inter-project text transclusions"
might became my loveliest [sub]topic. ;)

Pavlo Shevelo