[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia-wide global blocking mechanism?

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:39:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

I agree with your concerns. However, currently a similar system is
already active, proxyblocker. This system blocks some (I dont know how
many) proxies, detected somewhere in 2005. Dont worry, no new blocks
are being added, but some are still in place. The user just gets a
message that he is blocked by proxyblocker. We could pick a logical
name to appear in the message, that would point to meta. Maybe
CrosswikiBlocker, or VandalbotBlocker or something.

Opt-in is not workable. This new thing is mainly for wiki's with no
community. You can only opt in if you have a community. Hence, opt in
would not work. After all, the stewards mainly have to block bots on
wiki's with no or almost no normal edits. when there are people
around, and they have sysops and a community, they can handle it
themselves generally. However, I would plea for opt-out.

For the unblocking, I do not think that should be a major issue, if we
would choose for a maximum of a block in the range of 1 day-1week. In
that case, the chance that someone is affected by that block, but is
not the person who was doing the malicious edits, is quite slim.
Furthermore, that person will survive to wait a day or a week, no big
harm done. If it proofs to be a major blocker for a specific
community, ie they would only have one IP for a whole country or
something, they could opt out.

BR, Eia