[Foundation-l] New cloak requests system

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Wed Jan 30 20:00:24 UTC 2008

Greetings all,

Some time ago GeorgeMoney wrote me a nice script to do some basic
checking on cloak requests (see [[m:IRC cloaks]]). This system stood
the test of time, but it was observed that some improvements could be
made by some coders. I am pleased to announce that a new system has
now been put into production that should speed up requests by doing
more automatic checking and thus eliminating many common requests.
Additionally, translation of the interface is possible and thus we can
make things easier for those who do not speak English or where it is
not their first language - the old system did not have this.

Translations are not really done at present, but the system in English
is very much ready for use so go take a look:
<http://stable.ts.wikimedia.org/wmfgcbot/> - hope you like the castle.

At this point I would like to extent humble gratitude to
[[m:User:Martinp23]] and [[m:User:Kalan]] (enhydra) for coding the IRC
bot and web components of this service respectively. They have worked
tirelessly to get this working while I just sat back and fired off
suggestions for improvements in a naive fashion. We will be releasing
the source when it has been cleaned up; a combination of C# and PHP.

Thanks,

Sean