[Foundation-l] Video/Movie Media Storage in the Wikipedia with the OFFSYSTEM.sf.net

thomasasta at gmx.net thomasasta at gmx.net
Sun Jan 27 11:30:19 UTC 2008

Hello Florence and Foundation members,

I read, that wikipedia wants to add usergenerated Videos and Movies to the articles.

I want to suggest to do this over the online storage system:

http://offsystem.sf.net

This is a small client, in which users can insert therr media,
after the hashing process they get out a so called OFF-Url-Link, which looks like this:

http://localhost:23402/offsystem/v2/application/pdf/5dca0dbcf990ab61be875ef7e9bc4766fc7e1601/1706310/77996e605fb9ad13d6612fd038a1264bbe503f32/6daea144990b0db3c89bf0baf59b3c3efdd73a6c/483553a760e3ac0046ec2b5a047388d43aaf739c/866e46c461c1bbc4ac6dbe000006e914034d7ba4/843eb3e5d8003571c5fb5eb130258cfd38a3d701/WikiReader_Internet.pdf

This can easily be added into any wikipedia article.
Because of the http-Characteristic users even can watch the media in the browser, if they are running the offsystem client in the icon tray.

Because the load needs some time, the link should have a "blanket" tag for a pop up window, so that they can wait in the new window while surfin in the other window.

If wikipedia wants to server all media and bandwidth on its own, I doubt, that this is affordable from the financial side. So.. OFF-Links and the Storage in the Online-Hard-Disk might be good.

See the links to some libraries hier:
http://offsystem.sourceforge.net/links.html

A wikipedia libary with offlinks for wikipress will follow. Would you be intersted to start a site for the pdf files as a reference model for the video files?

Thanks for discussing OFF-Url in the Wikipedia for Digital Media.
The Linking of OFF-Url in the Wikipedia could start already tomorrow.
We just need a page or press announcement that this is allowed and a link to the client and maybe a short howto, Furthermore ideally a mouseover over offlinks should make a hint to the Offsystem (maybe someone can work that technically out, if a http-link contains the word "Offsystem" that then a mouseovertag is shown with the sentence: Watch this link after installing the offsystem.)

As I heard, that the server cost a lot and that you cannot evena fford to pey these servers, I think there is no other way to get another youtube into wikimedi as to use this kind of system for a online storage of digital media.

regards Thomas