[Foundation-l] "Historical" languages and constructed languages

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 13:16:09 UTC 2008

2008/1/25, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> Hoi,
> I have read the WP:NOT on the English Wikipedia  and I fail to see how it
> might apply. A Wikipedia in any language is there to provide information.
> This is no different for a Wikipedia in a constructed language. The
> provisions of this policy can be applied without any need for change.

I don't think it's on WP:NOT, but that's more because noone has tried
to get material into Wikipedia for this reason. A Wikipedia is there
to provide information, yes. But a Wikipedia article is there to
provide information ON THE SUBJECT OF THE PAGE. NOT to provide
information ON THE LANGUAGE IT IS WRITTEN IN.

> One of the applications for using Wikipedia is reading in the language that
> you are learning. This is a valid use and it is as valid for constructed
> languages. People who construct a language typically state that everything
> can be expressed by it. The only way of proving this is by expressing about
> everything hence an encyclopaedic approach makes sense to them as it is the
> only way they can prove people that deny their ability to do so.

Wikipedia is not an area for proving points about a language you
constructed. It is an area for providing information on subjects.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels