[Foundation-l] A simple question on languages.

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:09:43 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 11:42 AM, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/01/2008, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are more kinds of resources that need to be allocated than
> > simply turning on Wikis, which is why understanding the payoff is
> > important.
> >
> > For example, on a multi-lingual project like Commons it might be a
> > reasonable requirement that all policies, featured image descriptions,
> > etc be translated into the top N languages at a minimum.  Requiring
> > translations into hundreds of languages would be a impressive waste of
> > resources. By knowing the tradeoffs we can make better decisions.
>
> What resources are you speaking of? Volunteer resources?
> If so, I find the question fairly moot, as we can't really "require" anything.
Seconded.

While I personally think German language is important for public
relation, except fund raising and board election no volunteer showed
any interest so no latest information in German on WMF website.

On the other hand we have no good reason to reject a translation
offered by volunteer(s) regardless the size of its speaker population.
Unless we are talking to budget translation and hire, question about
"requiring language xx" goes nowhere I suppose.

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)