[Foundation-l] 1.6 Billion USD to spare? How about liberation of some pictures

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:10:35 UTC 2008

Hoi,
A language without a grammar does not express. You cannot express anything
by using OmegaWiki and consequently it is not a language. Your approach of
OmegaWiki is the same and as flawed as the original approach to Wikipedia;
it does not cover enough ground so how can you call it an encyclopaedia. You
say you first have to include everything before you can start using it...
This is indeed one of your "best" approaches.

When you say we only need to first and biggest dozen or so. I take it you
want to include Bangla and exclude Dutch. And you find it acceptable to
exclude Indonesian and Pashto, Swahili and Igbo. What you can expect in
OmegaWiki is that the coverage for some languages is better then in others.
This is to be expected and this is something that may change over time. It
is not surprising that English is best represented in
OmegaWiki<http://www.omegawiki.org/extensions/Wikidata/util/stats.php>
.

With the OmegaWiki approach, you can add words in translation to practically
any language. It takes one person to add one translation and it will be
there for all to see. It is a known approach, it is the Wiki approach. What
is different is that we are quite happy to accept resources and not enter
everything by hand. We are quite happy to reach out.

When you are talking about "diminished returns", how do you explain this to
the communities of all the WMF projects that you just excluded? Do you
really want to tell them that they do not matter? How do you rationalise
yourself out of that corner?

How are you going to deal with homonyms, how are you going to deal with
false friends?

You approach does not work and is the only the best solution indeed when a
"worse solution is better"

Thanks,
    GerardM