[Foundation-l] Fwd: Tokipona

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 23:44:53 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 6:35 PM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is for all these reasons that I argue that we can look really sharp
> before we approve another conlang. We can discriminate against them by
> having extra rigid demands. But denying them is not in our interest it makes
> us look like exclusionists while in actual fact we want to bring information
> to all people. And bringing information in a conlang is information that is
> of interest and importance to a sizable group of people.

What you fail to mention here is whether conlangs actually serve as a
vehicle for bringing information to people. Given the option of
providing information in a person's natural language, or the current
conlang de jure, I choose the natural language every time. Conlangs
are only valuable in this respect if they actually facilitate
collaboration and dissemination of content, and I posit that they do
not. We can make the case, on an individual basis, that some conlangs
do actually serve in this respect, but the general case is that
conlangs hinder the spread of information and do not help it.

--Andrew Whitworth