[Foundation-l] ... a personal request ...

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 15:12:27 UTC 2008

Hoi,
You announced that you would no longer post on the Foundation mailing list.
This is in my opinion un unmitigated disaster. This list is with Meta the
only way in which an ordinary user communicates with the Foundation. When
important Foundation people like yourself are no longer reading and/or
occasionally posting on this list, the openness of our organisation is
severely damaged.

When people consider a council, organisation mailing lists, they are
mechanisms intended to improve the relation between the organisation and the
projects, their people. Many people consider as extra layers of bureaucracy
and complexity. There are people who will consider this a waste of time and
money as they do not feel they are represented.

On the mailing list there are people who come from all kinds of background
and consequently people will be puzzled by the behaviour of others. When I
said for instance that I am not interested in the trash talking of the WMF
by a person that is said to be a vandal on another project I was told to
show good faith. I do not have the time for that... When people offend, they
offend intentional or unintentional. It can be because of a difference in
values, in judgment, in culture. In the end, we have to work together well
enough to be able to move forward and the least that we can do is continue
to converse.

When I do not post on this list, it makes little difference. When you decide
to boycot this list it makes a huge difference. It closes one of the few
public channels in which you can be reached. I ask you, please reconsider
and give your valued contributions to this list.
Thanks,
     GerardM