[Foundation-l] Response to message by thread breaking nazi.

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 05:25:40 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell writes:

> In the future I would prefer it if you present your disagreement
> without copping out by calling the other side a bunch of fundies.
> It's effectively an ad-homnie, and it doesn't further the discourse.

If that's what you think I was doing, then I apologize.  I thought I
was making a subtler point, but, then, maybe it was too subtle.

>  Because you have taken the approach of casing my position as one of
> irrationality and not given me the courtesy of an actual counter
> argument I am unable to determine exactly where your views and mine
> differ.

That is not the approach I meant to be understood as taking.

> No religion is required. Only a willingness to value long term goals
> over short term convenience.

And here you assume that only those who believe as you believe value
long-term goals over short-term convenience. I should think it
apparent to pretty much everybody that the Kaltura collaboration is
not convenient in the short term. I should think it apparent to pretty
much everyone familiar with my work that I value long-term goals over
short-term convenience.

At this point, I was sufficiently upset by how you mischaracterized my
position, and because you used the word "nazi" in reference to me,
that I ceased to read further.

This is the first time in a long time that anyone has called me a
nazi.  Not impossibly, your friends are comfortable being called nazis
in jest. I'm not, for I think obvious historical reasons, and for
reasons that I've written about.

I think I'll resign from this list for a while.  I'll wait a year and
see if it gets better.  See you in 2009.

Anyone who wishes to continue a discussion here with me can contact me
via private e-mail.

--Mike