[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Foundation's partnership with Kaltuna and l...

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sat Jan 19 01:21:33 UTC 2008

In a message dated 1/18/2008 8:06:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shimgray at gmail.com writes:

On  18/01/2008, Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> We  already delete a  massive number of fair use images daily simply  being
> a screenshot of XYZ singer or ABC video game. Are we to think  this won't
> happen with video? Are the administrators of the various  projects ready to
> deal with such an increased number of copyrighted  pages that will require
> deletion? The only way to ensure that this  isn't a problem would to be to
> extend our fair use provisions in the  various projects, allowing
copyrighted
> media to be added more freely.  We already see people taking the easy way
> out and uploading  copyrighted images of famous people rather than
attempting
> to acquire  them freely.

It strikes me that this is a very fatalistic  view.

Actually, it is not quite as fatalistic as it would seem. I raised this
issue on Techcruch regarding the sample Naruto video. I could easily have used
the Xbox 360, the polar bears from National Geographic, or the long-awaited and
much anticipated Spice Girl reunion tour (they aged well, didn't they?). The
response is here:
_http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/17/kaltura-partners-to-add-crowdsourced-video-to-wikipedia/_
(http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/17/kaltura-partners-to-add-crowdsourced-video-to-wikipedia/)

 Michelle