[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Invites Users to Take Part in Open, Collaborativ...

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 01:09:13 UTC 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 9:53 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> To quote Wikipedia (the source provided by Greg):
> "But when he returns home, his father greets him with open arms, and hardly
> gives him a chance to express his repentance; he kills a "fatted calf" to
> celebrate his return. The older brother becomes jealous at the favored
> treatment of his faithless brother and upset at the lack of reward for his
> own faithfulness. But the father responds: Son, thou art ever with me, and
> all that I have is thine. It was meet that we should make merry, and be
> glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and
> is found."
>
> Luke 15:11-32 the rest is a matter of interpretation. But to quote Wikipedia
> again: "the Lost Sheep, the Lost Coin, and the Lost Son — make up a dual
> plea for repentance to the audience of Publicans and sinners and a rebuttal
> to the listening Pharisees."

While I haven't read the original copy, but only the Japanese
translation, Jaroslav Pelikan, a notable Christian theologian (known
as the editor of Martin Luther Complete Works and later converted into
Eastern Orthodox) presented this parable in a bit different way from
yours in his _Jesus Through the Centuries_. Pelikan indicated the
theme as the salvation of gentile as well as of Jews - and pointed out
that the elder son, while he was embarassed with his father's overjoy
did lose nothing at all. He is still a heir and possess his heritage
Discovery of something lost doesn't harm others or diminish anything
else. It is a pure addition to the sum.

> Then again I do not make a habit of quoting the bible and all I wanted to
> say to Greg is that his choise for a quote was not strong. I value his
> opinion even if I do not always agree.

But perhaps it would give a much clearer communication,  not relying
on an ambiguous parable but speaking straightly?

> On Jan 19, 2008 1:41 AM, <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
>

> > In a message dated 1/18/2008 7:35:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> > gerard.meijssen at gmail.com writes:
> >
> > You  quote the prodigal son.. the story tells us that the father was
> > overjoyed  that his son returned alive to him, a son feared dead. It also
> > tells us  that the other brothers were jealous.. What is your message ?
> > Are
> > you  jealous because of the attention lavished on this other project  ?
> >

> > Gerard,
> >
> > You should probably reread the parable. It's in Luke 15.
> >
> > Danny
> >

> > **************Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.
> > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

KIZU Naoko