[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Foundation's partnership with Kaltuna and l...

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 07:01:54 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 11:06 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
> > Rather than attack the messenger, let's look at what is really happening
> > here. It look like Wikipedia/Wikimedia is being used to promote a start-up.  If
> > that is the case, it would be a slippery slope indeed, and certainly not what
> > a project devoted to free culture is all about.
>
> Maybe not so slippery. It's been a long time since the Answers.com deal
> (i.e. the agreement by the Foundation to promote the Answers.com one-click
> tool on Wikipedia), and we haven't seen many similar deals since then.
> Maybe the consistent community backlash at each of these announcements is
> keeping us away from edge of said slope.

Eh.

One click Answers worked out well enough for some people:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=ANSW&a=09&b=18&c=2005&d=09&e=21&f=2005&g=d
(Anyone know any public sites with intraday data? The intraday graph
is really quit amusing. It's amazing how fast the market responds to
press releases during the day)

If you beat the "finally going to monetize Wikipedia" drum too often
it will lose its luster.

:)