[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Foundation's partnership with Kaltuna and loss of freedom

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 00:50:21 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 7:42 PM, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip
> They've got an agreement with to start trialling this on WikiEducator,
> as part of which process the backend will be released as free
> software. The Foundation has a role in this process, though quite how
> isn't clear - presumably involved with the MediaWiki side of things -
[snip]

No, Wikimedia is lending its name, which I presume will help Kaltura
secure VC monies.

Staff Technical assistance on the mediawiki side has not been provided.

Obviously there hasn't been all that much assistance, or perhaps the
example site wouldn't violate the strict letter of the licensing on
the text they are using. :)

[snip]
> Me, I find it hard to care either way. I don't see it being up and
> running and clean and robust any time soon; I don't see an
> implementation for us in the near or medium term; I am still not sold
> at all that we even *need* editable collaborative video as part of the
> toolbox for our projects.

*Video*? Meh. Images/SVG would probably get a lot more usage.  But
slideshows? Yea, that could be useful, and we're nearly there already.