[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Thu Jan 17 12:07:55 UTC 2008

I very much support this. We have discussed the issue some time ago in
Russian WP (we have a support project for minor FSU languages). For really
minor languages, say, several hundred or several thousand native speakers,
for instance, Chukchi or Evenki, Wikipedia is not realistic. It is just
improbable that more than one enthusiastic editor comes along to create
encyclopedic articles (remember, all speakers of these languages are at
least bilingual). On the other hand, there is virtually nothing in these
languages to be found online. If a group of people gets interested in
saving the language from extinction, they must start not from a Wikipedia,
but from smth with contains a dictionary (like in Wiktionary), some may be
language manuals (like in Wikibooks), some texts (like in a Wikisource)
provided the copyright issues are sorted out etc. And smth like a
Wikicompendium for such languages would be the only way to develop their
projects within the WMF. (I must say though that the requirement of full
localization may just scare these people off - in the languages I
mentioned, the projects could very well start from the Russian interface
as default, and the participants could  be asked for some other way to
prove their interest, for instance, writing 200 articles before getting
out of the incubator, or smth else). Also, some of the existing Wikipedias
which are not dead but also do not exactly flourish could be re-classify
to Wikicompendia.

Cheers,
Yaroslav