[Foundation-l] Fundraising & Networking updates

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:41:52 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 10:46 PM, Rich Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is it that you want to stop? Are you suggesting that we remove all
> company articles? Or just their logos?
>
> Even without company logos, the wikipedia article may still rank high on
> search engine results.

It is.
See companies' articles on the projects which banned fair use - German
or Japanese Wikipedia. No logo I assume may not harm the page ranking
of those articles.

For example:
For IBM, googling only for Japanese pages:
Japanese Wikipedia article is ranked as 2nd or 3rd (depends on how the
result is interpretated), seconding to the company official page.
Googling only for German pages generates a similar result.

>Is that significantly better?
It is however determinded by readership - hence by the community in
each language. And generally, it is even slightly more informative to
include their logos than omitting.

> And, why should we change our practices because of the practices of search
> engines?

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)