[Foundation-l] Fundraising & Networking updates

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:50:23 UTC 2008

I'm not as concerned about the major Fortune 500 companies that already
have a major presence and who's having an article (or not) on Wikipedia
largely won't affect their business.

I'm talking about small start ups and under-the-radar companies. These are
groups and individuals who do not have that massive Google rank you find
for Microsoft, Adobe, DuPont, and Viacom. Those companies care about
their Wikipedia articles (PR reasons), but the smaller companies care more.
To them, a link on Wikipedia is golden. They know we're in the top 10 sites,
and they know that many many people go there for information and consider
it authoritative. This being said, for them to get a link (or even better, an
article), helps them tremendously. It gets their name out there. People
who might've never heard of them before can now get information on them.

Last time I checked, "Getting your name out there" is a major aspect of
advertising.

Chad