[Foundation-l] Mailman archives (was Fundraising & Networking updates)

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 13:58:59 UTC 2008

--- Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 1/15/08, simonpedia <simon at cols.com.au> wrote:
>
> > 2.            As one reads through this monthly
> thread, and tries to make
> > some sense of all the semi related conversation
> (between the usual suspects)
> > before they are archived after 30 days, does it
> ever occur to the team how
> > impossible it is for a newbie to get orientated?
> The idea of a forum in
> > which threads aren't cut (I,e, where discussions
> > conversations can be related (redirected) across
> elists and the workers
> > identified, has been raised quite often. Is there
> any reason why they aren't
> > used? (Apart from "We don't want to change!!!")
>
> I don't understand your question; what archiving are
> you talking about?

It seems to me, he is talking of the mailman archives
of this mailing list[1].  Besides threads being broken
up by the change of month there are other problems
that have been mentioned to some degree in the past.
Periodically "permanent" urls to the archives are
re-shuffled leaving broken links.  Certain mail
clients seem to not get archived at all, for example
none of Aphaia's post can be found in the archives
outside of someone quoting her in their reply.
Certain mail clients seem to archive without line
breaks making those messages difficult to read [2].
Those are all the problems I can remember with the
archives.

Birgitte SB
[1]http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/
[2]http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-December/036323.html