[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 11:24:02 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Localisation is best done centrally. Localisation of a project locally
should only be done on those messages that are distinctly different from
what is valid for other projects. These are messages that have to do with
local policies.

When you are of the opinion that the requirements for first projects and
subsequent projects should be the same, you are arguing for a substantial
increase to the entry level for a project because from my point of view we
would demand full localisation of both MediaWiki messages and extensions of
the WMF. This is in my opinion not reasonable. I agree with you that
localisation should be a continuous process. It is for this reason that only
for subsequent projects full localisation is required.

All messages localised in BetaWiki are available in all Wikimedia Foundation
projects. Consequently localisation in BetaWiki will improve the experience
in Commons or Meta. It is how I know how to navigate on projects that are
totally foreign to me like the Japanese projects.

With localisation in BetaWiki the total effort involved in localisation is
effectively reduced and the effectiveness improved. Britty, it is sad but
true; localising any other project then BetaWiki is effectively a waste of
time including the time spend on the localisation of Commons, Meta and other
internal projects. With full localisation any new project request will *only
* have to change the local policy specific messages.

In conclusion, we are experiencing some pain from the fact that we are
transitioning to a new policy. This whole issue of localisation for new
projects will go away when we all concentrate our localisation work at
BetaWiki. We will in the end spend less time and be more productive.

Thanks,
    GerardM