[Foundation-l] thoughts on leakages

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 12:00:55 UTC 2008

On 13/01/2008, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/01/2008, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The en:wp and Commons image dumps are still iffy, but this has the
> > devs' attention as important :-)
> > One of the best protections we have against the Foundation being taken
> > over by insane space aliens is good database dumps.

> Nonetheless a serious effort at a fork of a major project would be the
> biggest failure I can imagine in Wikimedia - and that includes if Knol
> is a raging success.

[[Enciclopedia Libre]] is why advertising on Wikipedia would be an
absolute last resort ...

See also http://davidgerard.co.uk/notes/2007/04/10/disaster-recovery-planning/
- and even if people disagree with my first sentence there, the rest
still applies.

> It would be comforting to have mechanisms to trigger before the all-out blaze.

The trouble with installing a big red button is that its presence says
"PRESS ME."

- d.